Several policy action statements were developed by members of the Grand Challenges networks in 2017. These statements present proposals emerging from Social Innovation for America’s Renewal, a policy conference organized by the Center for Social Development at Washington University in collaboration with the American Academy of Social Work & Social Welfare.
- “Ensure healthy development for all youth.” Actions target family-focused preventive interventions to children and families through primary health care
- “Create social responses to a changing environment.” Actions urge development of policies targeting environmentally induced displacement in the United States
- “Advance long and productive lives.” Actions target expansion of paid family and medical leave
- “Promote smart decarceration.” Actions to reverse civic and legal exclusions for people with criminal charges and convictions
- “Build financial capability and assets for all and Reduce extreme economic inequality.” Actions target universal and progressive Child Development Accounts as a policy vehicle for lifelong asset building
- “Reduce extreme economic inequality.” Convert the child tax credit into a universal child allowance
- “Stop family Violence.” Actions to encourage better use of data to protect children and support families